October 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm #3090
Here is the third draft of patient interview questions based on the outline that you gave me on Tuesday, along with a few goals for the first interview:
1. Can you tell us a little about your surgery? (When was it and what did it involve?)
2. What factors played into your decision to take that route in your health care?
3. Did you have any difficulty finding the right doctor? If so, what made you feel comfortable with the one you found?
4. Once you’d made your decision and found your doctor, did you run into any insurance hurdles or difficulty paying for your treatment? How did you resolve these?
5. Before your surgery, what did you do to plan and prepare for life after an operation?
6. Where did you find yourself looking for support at that time? What kind of support did you need?
7. What were you most worried about going into your surgery? What (other) risks were you aware of?
8. Did you have any complications or illnesses following your surgery?
9. Tell us a little about the personal challenges (physical, emotional, spiritual) that you faced throughout the process.
10. What instructions or advice were you given for post-op recovery by the different health care professionals you saw?
11. Were any of the instructions or advice unrealistic? Contradictory?
12. What was the single most important thing you were told about the surgery, replacement, or recovery process?
13. Have you encountered any unanticipated difficulties (not necessarily medical) related to your surgery/replacement?
14. What methods have you used since your surgery to maintain your health? Have you found any nontraditional treatments to be helpful?
15. What do you wish you’d been told, and what would you tell others who are facing a similar situation now?
1. Don’t Panic.
2. Encourage interviewees to continue talking if something seems important to them.
3. Conduct interviews in a conversational manner rather than reading a list of questions. (Sub-goal: have questions flow naturally from each other.)
4. Learn from early “observation” interviews and adapt my style as seems appropriate.
5. Don’t actually use the phrase “your surgery” as much as is written in these questions.
If any of the interview questions seem unnecessary OR if there’s anything I’m not asking that I should, let me know. I didn’t put in any questions about technology or medical tourism, mostly because I don’t quite know how to tackle them (I don’t know what medical tourism is, and I don’t know much about the technologies involved in joint replacement surgeries). I figure the questions will always be in draft form, as each interview might give us thoughts about something we should add to or take away from the next one, and I’ll continue to update this list as needed.
October 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm #3460
Nice job, I’ll review them a few more times today. From our discussion last night, here are my notes on tasks for you (mine are noted):
– Borrow or buy voice recorder
– Interview Richard 1:00 PM Saturday
– Identify top 5 eBook distributors, and their business terms
– Write short intro to Alison at Berklee
– Post weekly hours / projects here (or maybe separate topic)
– Write intro to Alison for Rachael (Richard)
– Invite Eran (animator) to Nov 5th event, intro to Rachael if attending (Richard)
October 16, 2011 at 7:28 pm #3461
October 17, 2011 at 6:09 pm #3462
Should I register at that community and participate in that thread? (I’m assuming those are interviews I’ll be doing.) I feel like I should probably at least introduce myself so they’re not thrown off when they realize there’s an intern doing or helping with the interviews. I’d also be more than happy to email or PM questions to member SISSYJOC if you’d be okay with an email interview.
October 17, 2011 at 9:17 pm #3463
No, no need to register. I want to keep some of this private until we are ready to go. Do you have a voice recorder yet? Also, pls see other topic and send hours — now overdue.
October 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm #3464
I made a separate thread to keep track of hours and the other things we discussed with Liv–that is, my “here is what I’ve done this week and how many hours I spent on it and what I’m thinking I’ll do next” and your “okay here is what I want you to do next.” It seemed easier for me to organize things that way; one of the things I like about forums is that you can have multiple coherent conversations going on at once with a separate topic for each. I’ve also subscribed by email to the whole “meeting room” area, so if you make a new thread for something different I’ll get updated with that and know to check. (I’ll probably make another thread for e-book publishing shortly; I’ve found some pretty interesting stuff.)
I haven’t gotten a recording device yet (I’m hesitant to say “recorder” because I’m reminded of those little flute-like instruments) since I was waiting for your recommendation, but I’ll go get one now and trust the people at Best Buy to recommend one that works.
October 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm #3469
Here are the times that I’m available to do interviews over the next 10 days:
Saturday 10/22: 1pm-10pm
Sunday 10/23: 4pm-10pm
Monday 10/24: 1pm-6pm
Wednesday 10/26: 1pm-6pm
Thursday 10/27: 1pm-10pm
Saturday 10/29: 1pm-10pm
Sunday 10/30: 1pm-4pm
These hours are still pretty flexible, so if someone is available on the same day near one of these times, that would work too. I couldn’t really just pick out 5-7 times because my schedule is so open; I hope that’s a good thing. I would actually prefer afternoon times (finishing before 6) to the later ones, since while I’ll be awake and free, I also won’t have the apartment to myself later in the day and it’s too small for me to have a private area that I can go to where the conversation can remain private. Of course, if that’s not a problem for the interviewee, then it isn’t for me either.
Let me know if this is something you can work with or if you need something more specific.
October 21, 2011 at 6:53 pm #3470
– Interview Richard, 3:30 PM this Sunday
– Interview Laura, 4:00 PM this Sunday
I’ll arrange the teleconference for the 2nd one.
If you plan on interviewing other people, pls let me know your intentions here in this topic. Thanks!
October 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm #3472
Rachael, good job on the interviews! As you could tell, Laura is a wonderful person and highly experienced as a patient.
Though it may be a challenge, try not to spend too much time transcribing the interviews (much less on mine). Perhaps no more than 1.5 hours on Laura’s.
Don’t post the “meaty” content of your work on this site, but send along the main documents by email.
I’ll work on setting up 1 or 2 more.
October 24, 2011 at 6:45 pm #3473
Thank you. I really enjoyed talking to Laura, and a lot of what she had to say seems like it’ll be so helpful.
My concern when it comes to not transcribing the interviews is that, at this point, I need to be getting about 15 hours in per week. If I’m just doing the interviews and taking detailed notes, I’m only getting the interview time. If you don’t want me to do the transcription, is there something else I could work on to fill my hour requirements?
October 24, 2011 at 7:09 pm #3474
We’ll have 2 more interviews in the next 6 days. 😉
October 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm #3475
Janaya: (first name Jesus “hay-sez”) Yes how about this W or Th after 6 PM but no later than 7:45ish PM or Fri after 5PM but no later than 6:30PM . Sorry but got two munchins with varying/alternating nap and sleeping times. I am on central time (Chicago). Let me know what works if not I can probably aim for early hours. I will continue my medical leave for my 12 weeks (FMLA) until November 16, 2011, so will be available other dates and times if these dates or times don’t work out. Feel free to shoot me some dates and times with your availability and I will let you know if they work for me. My cell # is 773-842-5270 and if my reception is bad my home number is 708-387-2156 but I don’t have long distance on it. I can buy a calling card though and contact you if you prefer. Let me know what you think and look forward to the interview!
msrudy: (Robin) I would love to help you in your research on ADR..my phone number is 864-487-9035. I would like to help because what I have been through may benefit someone else. I would rather you call me around 8pm on Saturday or 8pm on Sunday would be fine as I don’t sleep well because of my pain. So I am looking forward to your interview and hope I can be a part of any beneficial help.
Jo-Elle: Richard, I’m willing. I’m on medical leave for at least 2 more weeks, so I’m pretty available (EST). PM me for a phone # and some time options. (260-833-0330)
Joey Sue – 45 years old
Severe DDD L4-5,L5-S1, mod neural foramen narrowing, osteophytes.
Mod facet degen at L5-S1, but only mild degen at L4-5.
Small annular tear and mild DDD L3-4 (unchanged and holding steady for 2 years)
Mild DDD L2-3
Hybrid 9/28/2011: STALIF TT interbody fusion at L5-S1 and M6-L ADR L4/5 with Nick Boeree, UK
Healthy Back 2011
October 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm #3476
These all sound great. The only one I have a time preference for is Janaya–I’d prefer to talk Thursday or Friday than today, but today would still work if it’s already set or that’s her preference. Just let me know when they’re scheduled for!
October 27, 2011 at 5:25 pm #3477
Janaya (Jesus) is Sunday at 1:00 EST. Others for this weekend pending, stay tuned.
October 29, 2011 at 4:58 am #3478
Robin and Joell on Saturday or Sunday? Vicki on Monday?
October 29, 2011 at 6:01 pm #3479
Those times sound great. Let me know.
October 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm #3480
Sorry, what times are you free tonight and tomorrow nite? Sat and Sunday?
October 29, 2011 at 9:16 pm #3481
My schedule’s open, so just let me know when.
October 30, 2011 at 12:38 am #3482
We are confirmed for 9:00 PM tonight (Sat.) with Robin (msrudy). Sorry it’s late! I left a VM for Joelle too. Maybe 8:00 PM for her…
Jesus is tomorrow at 1:00 PM EST….
October 30, 2011 at 12:42 am #3483
Here’s Robin’s (msrudy) post-op topic:
November 1, 2011 at 7:03 pm #3486
Hope all is well. Hey, are you amenable to an interview? I’d like to squeeze one in soon — next few days.
Are you available? This is for the ebook.
Richard, I’d be happy to do a phone interview. We’ve been busy preparing to move, but holler any time after … 6PM CDT (or CST if it’s next week). My cell number is 817-689-4086.
November 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm #3487
6pm Central is 7pm Eastern, right? If the interview is tonight, I’m available around 8 Eastern at the earliest, and 9 Eastern would be slightly easier (so that would be 7 or 8 for him). I do feel like I won’t necessarily be at the top of my game tonight since it’s the end of a long day, but I’m not available Wednesday nights, so if this is the only time we can do before you leave then I’ll be able to manage.
If these times don’t work or are inconvenient for you or Jeff, I’d be willing to try doing an interview or two on my own once you’ve left, but of course that’s only if both you and the interviewee are entirely comfortable with the idea. I was planning on doing the interviews with the people I know (Hartley and Gary) on my own.
Let me know what works!
[Edited to add]: Is there a thread in the ADR Support forum that introduces Jeff and his experience? If there is, I’d like to look over it before performing the interview just to get a sense of who I’ll be talking to.
November 1, 2011 at 11:46 pm #3488
Yes, Jeff is jss (his screen name). OK, one more interview tonight shortly after 8:30!
Phew, I am beat.
November 2, 2011 at 6:06 pm #3489
Rachael, Vicki can be contacted anytime after noon EST for our next interview — her number is below. Her post-op outcome:
You have received a new private message.. Vicki_in_Florida, entitled “Re: Hey!”.
This is the message that was sent:
941-961-2614 EST anytime after noon
See ya later… 😎
November 6, 2011 at 6:50 am #3490
Hey Rachael, just checking in…everything OK? I’ll be checking in every few days…did you interview Vicki yet? Will you be taping and transcribing th interview with the other people you know? Pls, remember to ask them about any pre-op measures they may have done — especially dental health stuff.
November 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm #3491
Hi Richard! I seem to have gotten very sick this week, which has been a problem. I did make it to the film scoring event yesterday. I will have a write-up of that for you soon. I should also have one or two full transcriptions for you by tomorrow.
How should I contact Vicki?
November 7, 2011 at 7:52 am #3492
Thx, hope you are getting better. I posted Vicki’s above…just call her. She’s nice. 😀
November 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm #3493
That’s odd. I usually get an email as soon as something’s posted in here, and I never got an email from that post. I’ll give Vicki a call soon and get that interview done.
November 11, 2011 at 1:26 pm #3495
Yes, Rachael is welcomed to call. Sunday afternoon would be good, if that works for her.
I’m doing well! Back to work at only 6 weeks. Just having the occasional ankle ache, or some other weird place. But overall, I’m ecstatic! Yes, Rachael is welcomed to call. Sunday afternoon would be good, if that works for her.
I’m doing well! Back to work at only 6 weeks. Just having the occasional ankle ache, or some other weird place. But overall, I’m ecstatic!
A just heard your messages trying to reach me for the phone interview a while back. (We’re not great about retrieving landline messages, and obviously we were out). Our home phone is on the blink now for a few days while switching service providers, but feel free to call me on my cell if you are still seeking interviews. I’m back at work, but just about any evening or weekend is still a good time.
November 15, 2011 at 5:21 am #3091
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)